Medical Director, ProPath Immunohistochemistry Laboratory
- Board-certified – Anatomic and Clinical Pathology by the American Board of Pathology
- Fellowship – Surgical Pathology, University of Minnesota Hospitals, Minneapolis, MN, under the direction of Dr. Juan Rosai and Dr. Louis P. Dehner.
- Residency – Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, University of Minnesota Hospitals, Minneapolis, MN
- Medical School – University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI
- Prior to joining ProPath, Dr. Miller was in private practice for nine years, directing two hospital-based immunohistochemistry laboratories. Additionally, Dr. Miller has lectured widely both nationally and internationally. In 2016 he was awarded the New Zealand Police District Commander’s Commendation for serving as an international Expert Witness.
- Joined ProPath in 1993
- Itoh H, Mogami H, Bou Nemer L, Word L, Rogers D, Miller RT, Word RA. Endometrial stromal cell attachment and matrix homeostasis in abdominal wall endometriomas. Hum Reprod. 2018;33(2):280-291.
- Torlakovic EE, Francis G, Garratt J, Gilks B, Hyjek E, Ibrahim M, Miller RT, Nielsen S, Petcu EB, Swanson PE, Taylor C, Vyberg M. Standardization of negative controls in diagnostic immunohistochemistry: recommendations from the international ad hoc expert panel. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2014;22(4):241-252.
- Chong BF, Tseng L-C, Kim A, Miller RT, Yancey KB, Hosler GA. Differential expression of BAFF and its receptors in discoid lupus erythematosus patients. J Dermatol Sci. 2014;73(3):216-224.
- Pathi SD, Acevedo JF, Keller PW, Kishore AH, Miller RT, Wai CY, Word RA. Recovery of the injured external anal sphincter after injection of local or intravenous mesenchymal stem cells. Obstet Gynecol. 2012;119(1):134-144.
- Buresh CJ, Oliai BR, Miller RT. Reactivity with TdT in Merkel cell carcinoma: a potential diagnostic pitfall. Am J Clin Pathol. 2008;129(6):894-898.
- Wai CY, Miller RT, Word RA. Effect of prolonged vaginal distention and sphincter transection on physiologic function of the external anal sphincter in an animal model. Obstet Gynecol. 2008;111(2, pt 1):332-340.
- Tacha DE, Miller RT. Use of p63/P504S monoclonal antibody cocktail in immunohistochemical staining of prostate tissue. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2004;12(1):75-78.
- Miller RT, Kubier P. Immunohistochemistry on cytologic specimens and previously stained slides (when no paraffin block is available). J Histotechnol. 2002;25(4):251-257.
- Miller RT, Grantham R, Lockett B, Temple-Camp C, Pang J. Immunohistochemical analysis of forensic evidence from a double homicide. Am J Forensic Med Pathol. 2002;23(4):321-325.
- Kubier P, Miller RT. Tissue protection immunohistochemistry: a useful adjunct in the interpretation of prostate biopsy specimens and other selected cases in which immunostains are needed on minute lesions. Am J Clin Pathol. 2002;117(2):194-198.
- Cornwell TL, Li J, Sellak H, de Lanerolle P, Rodgers WH, Miller RT, Word RA. Regulation of cyclic guanosine monophosphate-dependent protein kinase in human uterine tissues during the menstrual cycle. Biol Reprod. 2001;64(3):857-864.
- Cornwell TL, Li J, Sellak H, Miller RT, Word RA. Reorganization of myofilament proteins and decreased cGMP-dependent protein kinase in the human uterus during pregnancy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001;86(8):3981-3988.
- Miller RT, Swanson PE, Wick MR. Fixation and epitope retrieval in diagnostic immunohistochemistry: a concise review with practical considerations. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 2000;8(3):228-235.
- Miller RT, Kubier P, Reynolds B, Henry T, Turnbow H. Blocking of endogenous avidin-binding activity in immunohistochemistry: the use of skim milk as an economical and effective substitute for commercial biotin. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. 1999;7(1):63-65.
- Miller RT. Intestinal T-cell lymphoma (case study). J Histotechnol. 1999;22(2):129-132.
- Miller RT, Kubier P. Blocking of endogenous avidin-binding activity in immunohistochemistry: the use of egg whites. Appl Immunohistochem. 1997;5(1):63-66.
- Miller RT, Kubier P, Rogers N. Pitfalls in immunohistochemistry, American Society of Clinical Pathology tech sample. Histotechnology. 1996;4.
- Miller RT, Estran C. Heat-induced epitope retrieval with a pressure cooker: suggestions for optimal use. Appl Immunohistochem. 1995;3(3):190-193.
- Butz W, Clark K, Miller RT. Improved manual immunohistochemistry employing orbital mixing of reagents during incubations. Appl Immunohistochem. 1994;2(1):65-67.
- Miller RT. Multi-tumor “sandwich” blocks in immunohistochemistry. Simplified method of preparation and practical uses. Appl Immunohistochem. 1993;1(2):156-159.
- Miller RT, Hapke MR, Greene GL. Immunocytochemical assay for estrogen receptor with monoclonal antibody D753pγ in routinely processed formaldehyde-fixed breast tissue. Comparison with frozen section assay and with monoclonal antibody H222. Cancer. 1993;71(11):3541-3546.
- Miller RT. Immunohistochemistry in the community practice of pathology: part II: detailed methods, procedures, and sources of reagents. Lab Med. 1991;22(8):527-532.
- Miller RT. Immunohistochemistry in the community practice of pathology: part I: general considerations, technical factors, and quality assurance. Lab Med. 1991;22(7):457-464.
- Miller RT, Groothuis CL. Multitumor “sausage’’ blocks in immunohistochemistry: Simplified method of preparation, practical uses, and roles in quality assurance. Am J Clin Pathol. 1991;96(2):228-232.
- Miller RT, Groothuis CL. Improved avidin-biotin immunoperoxidase method for terminal deoxyribonucleotidyl transferase and immunophenotypic characterization of blood cells. Am J Clin Pathol. 1990;93:670-674.
- Miller RT, Sarikaya H, Jenison E. Adenocarcinoid tumor of appendix presenting as unilateral Krukenberg tumor. J Surg Oncol. 1988;37(1):65-71.
- Miller RT, Baker K, Moga D. Multilobated B-cell lymphoma. Report of a case with immunocytologic diagnosis in pleural fluid. Acta Cytol. 1987;31(6):785-790.
- Miller RT, Sarikaya H, Sos A. Melanotic schwannoma of the acoustic nerve. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1986;110(2):153-154.
- Miller RT, Mukai K, Banks P, Frizzera G. Systemic lymphoproliferative disorder with morphologic features of Castleman’s disease. Immunoperoxidase study of cytoplasmic immunoglobulins. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1984;108(8):626-630.
- Miller RT, Ward PCJ. Serum ferritin. American Society of Clinical Pathology check sample program. Hematology. 1981;23(10).
- Oliai BR, Buresh CJ, Miller RT. Lack of reactivity with TdT in small cell carcinoma [abstract 2077]. Mod Pathol. 2013;26(suppl 2s):499A.
- Buresh CJ, Oliai BR, Miller RT. Reactivity with TdT in Merkel cell carcinoma [abstract 407]. Mod Pathol. 2008;21(suppl 1s):91A.
- Monaghan SA, Kroft SH, Miller RT, McKenna RW. Eleven cases of extranodal NK/T-cell lymphoma from a single U.S. medical center with emphasis on flow cytometry (FC) analysis [abstract 1117]. Mod Pathol. 2003;16(1):245A.
- Cornwell TL, Li J, Miller RT, Sellak H, Word RA. Distribution and quantification of cyclic GMP-dependent protein kinase (PKG) in relation to contractile proteins in human uterine smooth muscle during pregnancy. J Soc Gynecol Invest. 2000;7:132A.
- Cornwell TL, Li J, Miller RT, de Lanerolle P, Word RA. Cyclic GMP-dependent protein kinase in human uterine smooth muscle during the menstrual cycle. J Soc Gynecol Invest. 2000;7:163A.
- Minjarez DA, Miller RT, Lindqvist A, Andersson S, Word RA. Regulation of steroid hormone metabolism by 17b – hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 in the human cervix. J Soc Gynecol Invest. 2000;7:124A.
- Litz C, Miller RT, Ewing G, Odell D, Clifford E, Beitsch P. Intraoperative sentinel lymph node touch imprints are not sensitive in detecting metastatic carcinoma. Mod Pathol. 2000;13(1):26A.
- Miller RT, Hapke MR, Green GL. Immunocytochemical assay for estrogen receptor with monoclonal antibody D753pγ in routinely processed formalin-fixed breast tissue. Comparison with frozen section assay and with monoclonal antibody H222. Mod Pathol. 1993;6(1):18A.
- Synovec MS, Miller RT, Pirucello SJ, et al. DNA ploidy analysis: comparison of different imaging cytometry systems and flow cytometry. Mod Pathol. 1990;3(1):98A.
- Miller RT, Mukai K, Banks PM, Frizzera G. Cytoplasmic immunoglobulins in so-called multicentric Castleman’s disease. Lab Invest. 1983;48(1):58A.
Meet Our Experts
ProPath is an internationally recognized practice of academic-quality expertise with private practices.