Supplies for Specimen Submission
- ThinPrep® Kit
- Specify either brush and spatula or broom
- All specimen containers must be labeled with two identifiers. Examples of acceptable identifiers include: Patient name, date of birth, social security number, requisition number, and medical record number.
- Prepare the patient in the accepted manner. Note: do not use lubricant on the speculum as it may result in an unsatisfactory specimen.
- Remove the mucus plug from the cervix with a cotton tip swab and discard. Do not deposit the cervical mucus plug into the ThinPrep® vial with the cervical sample.
- Refer to ThinPrep Test Quick Reference Guide on the following two pages for additional specimen collection instructions.
Maintain the specimen at room temperature.